After surgery or injury you will need to learn how to reduce swelling by using ice, applying compression using an elastic bandage, elevating and doing ankle pumps. All of these steps together will help reduce your pain and swelling.
Here are the basic steps:
- Fill a sealable bag with ice cubes or use an ice pack
- Place a plastic bag over the area and ice on top of the plastic bag.
- Wrap an elastic bandage over the ice.
- Use 5 pillows to create a wedge or ramp as shown in the video with your feet higher than your hips and your knees and hips straight.
- An ankle pump is moving your ankle all the way up and all the way down without holding either position. Do 50 of these every 5 minutes.
- Lie down with your head lower than your feet for 20 minutes.
Our app, Curovate, has all of your daily exercises for ACL rehabilitation as well as built in reminders and timers for ice, compression, elevation and ankle pumps!
For more information about pain relief and ACL rehabiliation, check out Curovate! Curovate is a rehabilitation app designed for knee replacement, hip replacement and ACL injury. With step by step videos, progress tracking and the ability to measure your range of motion, Curovate lets you start your recovery at home to get back to the things you love!
If you need further customized assistance during your surgery or injury recovery check out our Virtual Physical Therapy page to book your 1-on-1 video session with a physical therapist.
Other Recommended Blogs